Frequently Asked Questions
- Do new families have to apply to their neighborhood magnet school?
Families do NOT need to complete a Magnet School application for their child to attend their assigned neighborhood magnet school. New families DO need to enroll their child at the Welcome Center, located at 6501 Sunnyside Road, and provide documentation required for attendance.
- Once my child is accepted, do I need to reapply each year?
No. Once your child is accepted, you do not have to reapply each year, presuming he or she will be continuing at the same magnet school and continues to meet residency criteria.
- If my child's older sibling already attends a magnet school other than our neighborhood school, do I need to still complete the CAP for my younger child? Yes, otherwise the younger child will be placed in your neighborhood school.
- If a family applies to a magnet school (not their assigned neighborhood magnet school) will they automatically get an acceptance?
- Acceptance into a magnet school is not automatic. It is based upon space availability and the number of applicants. If there are more applicants than spaces available, the computerized admittance process (CAP) is run. The computer- ized admittance process is done in random order via computer selection.
- Is there a timeline for applying to a magnet school?
Yes, all of the timelines are listed on the website at www.ltschools.org/enrollment. Only applications submitted by the deadlines will be included in the school admittance process.
- How do I know which magnet school is the best fit for my student?
Only you can decide. Consider your child’s interest and abilities, and learn about the school options available to you. You may call the schools for more information.
- What types of programs will be offered at each of the schools?
Each school offers English as a Second Language programming, most Special Education programming, before and after school care, and Free and Reduced Lunch for qualifying families. Some programs are offered only at specific sites such as High Ability programming, specific Special Education programming, Spanish Immersion, and Title I services. Please review each school’s profile for more detailed information.
- Must I list more than one school choice on my application?
No. You may list two schools. If there is only one school that interests you and your child, you may limit your application to that school. Please DO NOT list choices for which you are not prepared to send your child. When students are accepted into a magnet school they have applied for they forfeit their seat at the school they are attending and/or their neighborhood magnet school.
- How will I know you received my application?
You will receive email verification. Note: By default, system emails come from a no-reply email address which is standard with any sort of bulk or automated emails. This type of email address can sometimes be marked as spam depending on each individual user's spam settings. Be sure to check your "Junk Mail." Please keep your verification.
- When is the Magnet School Computerized Admittance Process run?
Please consult the timeline on the website at www.ltschools.org/enrollment.
- If one child from a family is selected through the CAP, will siblings be allowed to attend?
An application must be submitted for each sibling. If there is room in the sibling’s grade level, they will receive priority placement. We will make every effort to accommodate the family.
- How will I be notified if my child does or does not get accepted into a magnet school that he/she has applied for?
Notifications will be made via email. You will be notified according to the timeline listed on the website at www.ltschools.org/enrollment. Please keep your notification.
- What are my child’s chances of being accepted to a magnet school?
Acceptance rates vary from year to year; there are usually more applicants than available spaces.
- What do I do after my child is accepted?
If your child is currently attending a Lawrence Township school you will not need to do anything at this time. We will forward all current records to the new magnet school. Families new to Lawrence Township need to enroll at the Welcome Center by the deadline given in the notification.
- What if my child is not accepted to his first choice?
If room is available at your child’s second choice, then he/she will be accepted there. Please DO NOT list choices for schools that you are not interested in attending. Families forfeit their seat at the school they are attending and/or their neighborhood magnet school.
- My child attends a magnet school but wants to transfer to a different magnet school next year. What do I do?
You must submit a new application and be accepted through the computerized admittance process. Your child will keep his/her current spot until he/she is accepted at a new magnet school, then he/she forfeits their original spot.
- What if I move during the year and cross the east/west boundary?
Students who move to the opposite side of the district during the school year have the following choices: Continue at their current school for the rest of the semester if the parents can provide transportation from their new home to the school or attend the new neighborhood magnet school if there are available seats.
- How often can I change schools?
Students are encouraged to stay at the school they are placed for the duration of their elementary years. If a family decides the school is not a fit for their child, they must complete the application form on-line for the new school of choice and wait to see if the child is selected in the next run of the CAP for the following school year.
- Is transportation provided for my child if we choose a magnet school other than my neighborhood magnet school?
Transportation is provided for all students Kindergarten through Grade 6 to any of the magnet schools on the side of the district where you reside.
- Is there Before and After school care available at all Magnet Schools?
Yes, Before and After Care is available at each elementary school from 6:30 AM - 6:00 PM daily.
- How do I enroll my kindergarten student for first grade?If your child attends Kindergarten at one of the MSD Lawrence Township Early Learning Centers and you decide to send him/her to first grade at your neighborhood magnet school, your child's school records will be transferred directly to the assigned school. If you would like to apply for another magnet school, complete the online CAP application for that school choice. You will be notified via email whether or not you are accepted to that school once the CAP has been run. Records will be forwarded to the appropriate school.
- My child is in the High Ability program. May I apply through CAP to attend another school that has the High Ability program?No, High Ability students are placed through the Office of Curriculum and Instructional Programs. If you have questions please call 423-8327.
What is a Magnet School?
In most Indiana public school systems, students attend the school nearest their home or the one to which they are assigned. Magnet schools offer a unique area of focus and give opportunity for family choice. Each magnet school’s area of focus enhances the core curriculum.
MSD Lawrence Township created a system that allows families to attend their assigned neighborhood magnet school if that is their desire OR apply to attend another magnet school with a different area of focus.